Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Crystal Ball Says...

...that I know what will happen in this week's key games. Always remember that I'm right, and your team sucks.

#5 Florida @ Vanderbilt
Florida is a team on a mission. Ever since the home loss to Ole Miss, they’ve been scorching opposing teams on offense, and stuffing them on defense. They’ve outscored their last four opponents 201-43. Vanderbilt, after starting the season 5-0, has lost their last three. They have one of the least potent offenses in the nation. Florida has one of the best defenses. Some people expect a Gator letdown in this game after last week’s demolition of Georgia. But let me repeat – Florida is a team on a mission.

#11 Ohio State @ #24 Northwestern
I hate Ohio State, and I’m glad we have all agreed that the myth of the Sweatervest Juggernaut exists no more. But, while Northwestern has clawed their way to a surprising 7-2 record, they have split with the only decent teams they have played – losing to Michigan State, and winning in overtime at Minnesota last week. I’d love to see Northwestern beat Ohio State. In fact, to be more precise, I’d love to see anyone beat Ohio State. Sadly, I don’t think the Wildcats can pull it off.

#9 Oklahoma State @ #2 Texas Tech
As you know by now, I firmly believe that there is no “D” in Big 12. Still, this is an intriguing game with huge BCS implications. Can Texas Tech remain unbeaten for another week? This is the third time in the last five weeks that Oklahoma State is playing on the road against a team ranked in the top 3. One thing the Cowboys can do better than the Red Raiders is run the ball. I expect a heavy dose of the ground game to wear the Tech defense down, and keep their offense off the field. I like Oklahoma State in this one.

#21 California @ #7 USC
Okay, it’s time I admitted that Cal has the same colors as my high school, so I have some kind of subconscious soft spot for them. Combine that with the fact that I hate USC and there is tremendous temptation to pick an upset here. But this is not 2003 – when USC’s only loss on their way to a national championship was a 34-31 upset at Cal. Unfortunately, the Bears don’t have the muscle to beat Southern Cal at home.

Kansas @ Nebraska
For most of my life, this game would have been a joke, a complete blowout. My, how times have changed. Nebraska has managed to put together a decent passing attack, averaging nearly 300 yards per game. But they are 54th in the nation in rushing, and, for most college football fans, that’s just not Nebraska. Kansas, on the other hand, started the season with great expectations, but lost at South Florida in September, and then lost back to back games to Oklahoma and Texas Tech in October. Amazingly, Nebraska is a 1 point favorite at home. I’ll take Kansas.

#1 Alabama @ #16 LSU
This Alabama team is one that would make the Papa Bear proud. They have a mammoth offensive line paving the way for running backs Glen Coffee and Mark Ingram. Combine that with a QB who makes few mistakes and a solid defense, and you have a recipe for victory. That’s why the Crimson Tide find themselves unbeaten in the second year of the Nick Saban era. LSU is a team that looks to be loaded with athletes but, after a 4-0 start, they are 2-2 in their last four games . While Georgia and Florida trounced LSU, I think the Tigers match up a bit better with the powerful, but slower, Crimson Tide. Alabama is favored by a field goal, and that sounds about right to me. They’ll win it, but it will be close.

#20 Georgia Tech @ #19 North Carolina
This is a fascinating matchup of resurgent teams, both of whom are coming off victories over ranked opponents. Georgia Tech beat Florida State 31-28 last week, thanks to a ‘Nole fumble with :45 remaining. And North Carolina had a bye week after stunning Boston College in Chestnut Hill 45-24. I’d be really tempted to pick the Yellow Jackets on the road in this one, but the health of QB Josh Nebitt’s ankle is uncertain. I’ve got to go with the Tarheels.

Notre Dame at Boston College
This battle of the major Catholic schools looks as fascinating as ever. Both teams have identical 5-3 records, but Notre Dame seems to have improved during the middle half of the season – despite last week’s overtime loss to Pitt – while Boston College has seen their struggles worsen. The oddsmakers have BC as a field goal+ favorite, but I think the Irish sneak away with a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment