Sunday, December 7, 2008

Afterbirth (Week 15)

You know... the stuff that just kind of falls out when the party's over.

BCS Set?

The regular season is finally over, and the three big conference championship games definitely lived up to expectations. The SEC game was an instant classic. The Big 12 game showed that Missouri still isn’t ready for the big time. And the ACC game was… Wait. Was there an ACC game? Nobody really cared, including, apparently, Boston College, even though they were in it.

Florida and Alabama played the most entertaining game of the day, by far, with each team seizing momentum on several occasions, only to have it seized back by the opponent. All week long, the “experts” told us that this was a case of power against speed. Florida coach Urban Meyer didn’t think so. These Gators have plenty of toughness too. Florida ended up outrushing Alabama, and won the time of possession battle, essentially beating the Tide at their own game.

Oklahoma made Missouri look like a Pop Warner team, but probably set up a colossal BCS championship game against the Gators, if the computers cooperate.

Why I Like Lee Corso

Over the years, most college football fans have come to rely on ESPN College Gameday for information and entertainment. If you like college football, you know Chris, Kirk and Lee. You may not like them, but you know them.

Back in the day, I kind of liked Chris Fowler. I thought Kirk Herbstreit brought a lot of credibility to the broadcast. And I thought Lee Corso was nothing more than a buffoon. Not so fast, my friend. Over the years, Fowler has said many things that annoyed me. It's been a cumulative effect that has built slowly, but now I dislike him fairly intensely. And, frankly, he reminds me of Fred Flintstone as a young man.

Kirk Herbstreit started off as a fairly likeable guy, but, over the years, started taking himself too seriously, and spending more time editorializing than analyzing. Plus, he's a Buckeye. I hate the Buckeyes.

Lee Corso initially seemed like he was on the set purely for comedic value. And he wasn't funny. But, as my opinion of the others deteriorated, my opinion of Corso took a positive turn. Now, while I may not always agree with him, I enjoy the light-hearted approach he brings to the show. He's the only one who always seems like he is enjoying himself. And I appreciate it.

In the video clip below, the guys cut to a remote report by Rocket Ismail. There was a problem with the audio feed, and Corso, obviously unaware that his microphone was still on, expressed his thoughts on the subject. (Warning: Not suitable for the young or overly sensitive).



Gotta love Corso.

No comments:

Post a Comment