Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Crystal Ball Says...

...that I know what will happen in this week's key games. Always remember that I'm right, and your team sucks.

South Carolina at NC State - College football 2009 kicks off with a contest between two decent teams. Great things are expected from Wolfpack QB Russell Wilson, who threw 17 touchdown passes with only 1 interception as a freshman in 2008. Oddly, Spurrier's Gamecocks have been winning - when they do actually win - with good defense and a solid running game. QB Stephen Garcia is inconsistent, at best. The teams appear pretty evenly matched, and, with that being the case, I'll take an SEC defense any day, even on the road. Go Cocks.

#16 Oregon at #14 Boise State - Boise State gave us one of the most entertaining college football games ever - their overtime win over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. For that, I will always be grateful (plus I like almost anybody who beats the Sooners). The Ducks have a high-powered offense and the ugliest uniforms known to man. I think the Broncos are for real, especially at home, and should win what promises to be an exciting game.

#13 Georgia at #9 Oklahoma State - There's a lot of pre-season hype surrounding Oklahoma State. They do have some great offensive weapons, but, if you look at last season's results, they played four good teams and lost each of those games. Georgia's defense let them down last year, and has been a point of emphasis during the offseason. Under Mark Richt, the Dawgs have a 30-4 road record. That's pretty impressive. The Cowboys are favored, but, once again, when in doubt, I'll take the SEC defense.

#5 Alabama vs #7 Virginia Tech (in Atlanta) - Mention the Virginia Tech offense and Hokie fans tell you about Tyrod Taylor. Sometimes he is amazing. Sometimes he makes bone-headed mistakes. He is a gifted runner, but an average passer. Bama is breaking in a new quarterback, but their defense should be ferocious. Once again, give me the SEC stoppers. Roll Tide.

Miami at #18 Florida State - These once-great programs have fallen to a level of consistent mediocrity. I'm quite pleased about that. This year, I think Miami is slightly more mediocre than Florida State. Plus Miami is the road team. Plus I can't wait to watch them start the season 0-4, which I think is quite likely. The 'Noles should win this.


EXTRA POINT - I think Nevada (-14.5) and BYU (-22) will provide slightly better competition for Notre Dame and Oklahoma, respectively. At least one of them will beat the spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment