Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Crystal Ball Says...

...that I know what will happen in this week's key games. Always remember that I'm right, and your team sucks.

#4 Ole Miss at South Carolina - I thought South Carolina had a good defense. Then, last week, they gave up 41 points to a previously pedestrian Georgia offense. I also thought Gamecock QB Stephen Garcia was kind of a head case, but he has actually put together a couple of decent performances in a row. Mississippi began this season with huge expectations, and their highest ranking in almost 40 years. Strangely, Houston Nutt's teams seem to do better as underdogs. The Gamecock defense should return to form at home, and help pull off the upset.

#1 Florida at Kentucky - This might be a "trap" game for Florida if they hadn't spent the week fuming about their allegedly sub par performance against Tennessee. Kentucky coach Rich Brooks has returned the Wildcats to respectability, but they haven't beaten Florida since 1986. The Gators will make it 23 in a row.

#9 Miami at #11 Virginia Tech - I have to be honest and say that I thought Miami would start the season 0-4, and I was quite happy about it. But somewhere along the way, I started to like Hurricane QB Jacory Harris. His composure on the field is remarkable. The Hokies, on the other hand were extremely lucky to beat Nebraska last week. Virginia Tech's office is not good - 78th in the nation in total offense. I think Miami has too many horses for the Hokies.

Texas Tech at #17 Houston - This should be an extremely entertaining game. Houston signal-caller Case Keenum is 4th in the nation in passing - which would be impressive except for the fact that Texas Tech QB Taylor Potts is 1st. The question is, can either team play defense? I'm going to go with the home team. This would be another huge win for the Cougars.

#6 California at Oregon - There are only four FBS teams that haven't thrown at least one touchdown pass so far this season. Oregon is one of them. A terrific ground game probably won't be enough to beat Cal. The Golden Bears have a terrific back in Jahvid Best, and an accurate passer in Kevin Riley. A Duck win would blow the Pac 10 race wide open, but, while I think they can keep it close, I don't see them beating Cal, not even in Autzen Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment