Friday, September 3, 2010

Kickoff !!

It's Thursday and I'm watching college football!  Someone pinch me.  I might be dreaming. 

It's finally here, and, as expected, the ESPN game - Southern Miss at South Carolina - was not the best of the night.  Minnesota and Middle Tennessee were tied at 17 half way through the fourth quarter.  The Gophers scored a late touchdown to get the win.  Too bad the Blue Raiders had to play the game without their quarterback Dwight Dasher.  Dasher was suspended for being an idiot.  Last year, he passed for 2,789 yards and ran for 1,154.  Do you think this team could have used him tonight?

Despite being ranked fifteenth, and being the overwhelming choice to win the Big East, Pittsburgh went to Utah as a three point underdog.  I like the Utes.  In my view, they've done everything they need to do to establish their football credibility.  They've won BCS bowl games, and beaten BCS conference teams.  They are the last team to beat Alabama.  If you're lucky enough to have Versus on your cable or satellite package, you got to enjoy this game.

Here's a random statistic:  The last time Utah lost a home game played on a Thursday was Thanksgiving Day.  In 1954. 

In this case, Pittsburgh kicked a field goal with three seconds remaining to force overtime, but the Utes prevailed 27-24, thus extending the Thursday home winning streak to thirteen games.

College football is here. Sweet...

New Resource for Info Buffs

I found a really cool online sortable set of college football data provided by - believe it or not - the Wall Street Journal.  It's called The Whole Hundred Yards.  The link is here.  It's good enough that I think I will add it to my permanent set of links on the right side of this page.

Among the things I learned; the nation's heaviest offensive line belongs to... (drumroll)... Idaho.  The Vandals average 333 pounds per man.

No comments:

Post a Comment