Monday, October 29, 2007

My Crystal Ball Says...

...that I know what will happen in this week's key games. Always remember that I'm right, and your team sucks.

OK, I'm willing to admit that last week sucked. How many did you get right? Huh? huh? That's what I thought. Here's this week's (almost) guaranteed winners:

Thursday, November 1st

7:30 p.m. #11 Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech
I just don't see the Ramblin' Wreck having enough horses to overcome a very good Virginia Tech defense, even at home. I'm going with the Hokies.

Saturday, November 3rd

Noon #21 Wisconsin @ #1 Ohio State
I hate Ohio State, and, even though they have won 19 straight Big 10 games, I still think they will lose one of their last three. But I also think Wisconsin is the kind of team that can be counted on to lose big games. Plus, Wisconsin running back P.J. Hill is banged up. Plus, it's in Columbus. I'm going with the Buckeyes, even though I hate Ohio State.

Noon #24 Wake Forest @ #23 Virginia
This is a tough one to call. Virginia opened the season with a surprising loss to Wyoming, then won the next seven before losing last Saturday at N.C. State. When Wake Forest plays well, avoiding mistakes, they are hard to beat. They are in the midst of a six game winning streak, and could still win the Atlantic Division of the ACC if Boston College fumbles down the stretch. With that on the line, I think they'll play well Saturday, so I'm picking the Demon Deacons.

12:30 p.m. Nebraska @ #8 Kansas

Kansas is playing with confidence, and they look like almost like a legitimate winner. I still think they are ripe for a loss, but now that Nebraska is down, many of the teams in the Big 12 are taking out years of frustration on Big Red. Kansas, for instance, has lost 37 of the last 38 to Nebraska, Not this year. I'm going with the Jayhawks at home.

12:30 p.m. Vanderbilt @ #20 Florida

Which Florida team will show up? The one that looked great in a close loss to LSU? Or the one whose defense couldn't stop a group of eager cheerleaders like the one that played against Georgia last week? It's hard to pick against Florida when they're playing at home, and they've won the last 16 against Vandy. I think the Gators will pull this one out.

2:30 p.m. Navy @ Notre Dame
I was all set to pick Navy in this one, and then they lost to Delaware last week. The Blue Hens? You must be joking. Maybe they were looking ahead to this week, huh? Wouldn't you love to see Navy win this one for the first time since Roger the Dodger led them to a victory during his Heisman-winning campaign in 1963? Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you love to see Notre Dame's troubles extended and multiplied with a home loss to Navy? Wouldn't you? Ahh, forget it. I'm going with the Irish.

3:30 p.m. #15 Texas @ OSU
One thing about Oklahoma State stands out to me; they play well at home - scoring 86 points in the last two weeks. Frankly, I enjoy every bit of misery that can be inflicted on Texas. Take the Cowboys.

3:30 p.m. Texas A&M @ #6 Oklahoma
I don't see Oklahoma losing this one at home, do you? Didn't think so. Sooners all the way.

5:00 p.m. #3 LSU @ #17 Alabama
This is a tough one to call. Does the whole Nick Saban thing really matter to the players? I don't think so. LSU has the better athletes, but Alabama is at home. All other things being equal, let's look at the coaching. Nick Saban is... well... Nick Saban. And Les Miles is such a moron he doesn't even know that he is a moron. Alabama has lost the last four to LSU, but I'm going out on a limb and taking the Tide.

6:30 p.m. #9 Missouri @ Colorado
I was ready to write off Colorado until they pulled off a win at Texas Tech last week. But Missouri's only loss is a relatively close one at Oklahoma. OK, I'm still ready to write off Colorado. And I think the Tigers are legit.

6:45 p.m. #4 Arizona State @ #5 Oregon
This shapes up as a PAC 10 championship game. Oregon lost at home to Cal early in the year before the Golden Bears ran into their own troubles. Arizona State is still unbeaten. Until last week's victory over a rapidly-collapsing Cal team, ASU hadn't beaten anybody that you could say is very good. After this week, they still won't have beaten anybody you could say is any good. Sun Devil QB Rudy Carpenter has a bad thumb. The Ducks will win this one.


7:15 p.m. Rutgers @ #13 UConn
Connecticut is unbeaten at home this year. They are 7-1, and, in the 109 years that they have played football, they have never been 8-1. Rutgers is the kind of team I like to pull for, but something about this U Conn team makes me want to jump on their band wagon. They'll be playing to maintain their hold on first place in the Big East, and I think they're on a bit of a roll. I'm going with the Huskies.

7:45 p.m. Florida State @ #2 B.C.
Like all good Gators, I hate Florida State. No, no. I really hate Florida State. B.C. has won 16 consecutive home games since they last lost to - you guessed it - Florida State in 2005. The Eagles do what all championship teams do; they find ways to win - as evidenced by last Thursdays comeback win at Virginia Tech. With Xavier Lee suspended for this game for missing classes (I know, right? Shocking), the 'Noles are stuck with Drew Weatherford at QB, even if he stinks. The temperature could dip into the 40's by game time. I'm hoping for a blizzard in Chestnut Hill. The Eagles will win this one. Did I mention that I hate Florida State?

No comments:

Post a Comment