Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Changes

I made a few changes to the format of this blog.

There is a built-in stat counter that tells me I had 457 unique visitors in the month of October, up from 171 in September.  So I figured I should continue in an attempt to upgrade and vary my offerings, and make the Illegal Procedure experience as enjoyable as possible for as many people as possible, myself included.

I moved a few things around. I left the Useful Links where they were because, if you are a college football fan, they are genuinely useful. I frequently refer to those same sources when I am thinking, writing or just goofing off.

I'm going to try to do at least one semi-serious feature each week.  You have seen some already - Moments in College Football History, for example.  I will continue to look for tidbits on football technology as well as the technology involved in broadcasting football (see the First Down - Yellow Line Technology below).  And I will occasionally try to find information on football strategy.  I'll call it X's and O's.
I added a College Football News feed on the right. So far, I'm not terribly impressed, but we'll see how it goes. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

I also added a new section with links to some College Football Blogs from newspapers around the country. I think you'll be surprised how much the viewpoints differ from region to region. It's interesting to see.

Right now, I only have a few, so, if you have any favorites from the New England area, or the Pacific Northwest, let me know. I'm still looking.

When I was in Washington, D.C. over the summer, I developed a fondness for the Washington Post online, but most of their college football coverage centers on the University of Maryland (currently 2-7) or the University of Virginia (currently 3-6), and reading about them is kind of like reading the obituaries; the only good news is that you can be happy you're not in their place.

I would like to point out that Jenni Carlson is the writer from the Daily Oklahoman whose coverage of Oklahoma State in 2007 was responsible for one of the more famous coaching tirades in recent college football history. Cowboy coach Mike Gundy is clearly directing his comments at one person in the room. 

If you haven't seen Gundy's "I'm a Man, I'm 40" tirade, I highly recommend it...



So far, my initial impression of Carlson's stuff is that she will eventually annoy me almost as much as she annoyed coach Gundy.  But, in the meantime, enjoy.

I picked Mike Hlas from the Cedar Rapids Gazette because, if he is any indication,  living in the midst of thousands of square miles of cornfields apparently gives you a different perspective on things.  There seems to be very little need for reality-based thinking when you are one of the Children of the Corn.

And I picked The Quad from the New York Times because they seem to be reasonably fair.  I can't tell if they are entirely unbiased or just entirely disconnected from everything that happens outside of the boroughs of the Big Apple.

That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment