Sunday, October 26, 2008

Afterbirth (Week 9)

You know... the stuff that just kind of falls out when the party's over.

Big 12 Defenses Are Downright Offensive (Part 2)

You and me and 9 guys from the nearest pub could score a touchdown on the Kansas State defense. (93 points scored in that game, an Oklahoma victory)

You and me and 9 guys from the nearest pub could score a touchdown on the Kansas defense. (84 points scored in that game, a Texas Tech victory)

Okay, I know this gets repetitive. But this WILL come back to haunt the Big 12 champion if they get to the BCS Championship game. Texas is the only one of the ranked teams in the league that plays some semblance of defense, and, for that, they deserve some credit. I suppose.

Do the Lions Really Bite?

I watched Penn State beat Ohio State Saturday night. National media pundits are lining up to support JoePa, and boost them into the BCS Championship game with their best wishes. Sure, it was a hostile environment. But, if you watched the game, really watched the game, you know that Ohio State just isn’t that good. The key play – early in the fourth quarter, with the Buckeyes nursing a 6-3 lead in a ferocious defensive struggle, quarterback Terrelle Pryor carried on a third and 1 from their own 38 yard line. With the middle of the line clogged, Pryor slid to his right, and caught a glimpse of the Penn State endzone in the distance. Trying to make the big play, he forgot to secure the ball. Penn State defensive back Mark Rubin punched the ball loose, and linebacker Navorro Bowman fell on it. Given a short field, Penn State scored the game’s only touchdown and held on to win.

Pryor explained after the game, ''I just didn't hold the ball. I saw the end zone. It was there and the ball just fell out. I thought I was on my way to a touchdown but I just lost the ball. As soon as I fumbled it, I knew they would score.''

What is the point of all this, you ask? Ohio State is 95th in the nation in total offense, and I just don’t think they are very good. Penn State did what they needed to do, but that one play really changed the game. What if Pryor had held onto the ball, turned upfield and scampered all the way down the field for a touchdown? We’d be talking about how over-rated Penn State was. So, let’s keep this in perspective. They won. But they’re still over-rated.

The Burning Sunday Question

Is it wrong to wash down vitamins with beer?

No comments:

Post a Comment