Saturday, January 3, 2009

Premature Afterbirth (Part 2)

With three games remaining, I am now 11-15 in my bowl predictions. It will put a damper on my outstanding regular season record. It's a good thing I don't actually gamble. A REAL good thing. But it's been a great bowl season! I'll be sorrry when it's over. Having said that...

I was a bit disturbed that Nick Saban won coach of the year. I think there were more deserving candidates – Buffalo’s Turner Gill to start with. Yes, Alabama showed great improvement in their second year under Saban, but he was TOTALLY outcoached in the Sugar Bowl. First of all, it was clear that Alabama was not ready to play. It is somewhat understandable, given their disappointment in the loss to Florida. But Utah rushed for a net total of 13 yards in the game. 13 yards. But, more importantly, if I’m Alabama’s defensive coordinator, I decide, very early on, to do my best to terrorize Utah QB Brian Johnson. Send 5, 6 or 7 on every play. You’re Alabama! I would dare Utah to beat me with their ground game. They got 13 yards for God’s sake. 13 yards.

If you watched the Cotton Bowl, you saw Mississippi execute exactly that kind of defensive game plan against Texas Tech. They attacked Graham Harrell on every play. EVERY play. They dared Texas Tech to beat them on the ground, knowing full well that they couldn’t – despite Mississippi spotting them an early 14 point lead on two turnovers.

Give Utah credit. They played a great game, and are, indeed, better than most people thought. Nick Saban, and every one of his coaches and players should be ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment