Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Crystal Ball Says...

...that I know who is going to win the BCS Championship game because, let's face it, my bowl predictions up until now have been spot on! Yeah, right.

Oklahoma vs Florida (BCS Championship Game)
For much of this season, I have written on the subject of the SEC versus the Big 12, offense versus defense, and so on. I wrote about it here, here, here, here, and here. I still thought there might be some room for debate. Are Big 12 defensive numbers so bad because the offenses are so good? Are SEC defensive numbers so good because the offenses are mediocre?

One thing finally changed my mind. Or, more accurately, two things. The Cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl. Despite spotting Texas Tech a 14 point lead, Mississippi DOMINATED the Red Raiders, and held them 10 points below their regular season scoring average. And Texas didn't look in any way spectacular against a very mediocre Ohio State team.

I could break down statistics, and all that garbage, but i think it comes down to this... There are three facets of the game; offense, defense and special teams. Even if you want to argue that Oklahoma's offense is better than Florida's, I think you must concede that Florida is better on defense and special teams.

I think Florida's play on special teams will win the game. I think Florida is a better team overall. I think this is the best defense Oklahoma will have seen all year. And I think Tim Tebow will play the game of his life.

Florida wins this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment