Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Upon Further Review (Week 8)

Congratulations to Tarheel Fans

I would like to take a moment to congratulate the football fans at the University of North Carolina for accomplishing something I thought was absolutely impossible.

During Thursday night's game against Florida State, you spent so much time booing that you actually made me want to root for the Seminoles.

I thought Tennessee fans were bad.

You were lousy fans when your team was ahead, and even lousier fans when your team choked on national television, and lost 30-27 after leading 24-6. Boooo.

I can only imagine how much you pout about the powder blue during basketball season. All I can say is... go Blue Devils.

I'm on the Wagon

I don't like bandwagon fans. Seriously. Have some loyalty. Have some conviction. Have some consistency. Don't just change your allegiances when it's convenient.

Having said that, I would like to announce that I am jumping on two different bandwagons right now, but, rest assured, I'm doing it for the right reasons.

I am now officially a University of Richmond fan. I will admit it openly, and without shame. And I will tell you that I became a fan just because I think their helmets are really, really cool.

The fact that Richmond opened the season with a win at Duke, and are now 7-0 and atop the FCS (Division I-AA) polls doesn't hurt.

The Richmond Spiders. I am now on the wagon.

Idaho first caught my attention because, come on, you have to like any team called the Vandals.

I bought a hat. Then a T-shirt. I wear them both often.

But this year, there's even a nice little story in Moscow (Idaho).

After winning just 3 games in the previous two seasons combined under coach Robb Akey, the Vandals are 6-2 this year, and already bowl eligible. Granted, they got smashed 70-45 by Nevada on Saturday, but I think they'll finish the season 8-4, and get a nice bowl trip as a reward.

The Idaho Vandals. I am now on the wagon.

Hold the Hype

Is there anybody else out there who thinks that it's still too early to hype anybody for the Heisman?

This season, the race is wide open. So let's leave the conjecture aside for a couple more weeks, and see what happens.

Some of the early alleged favorites are struggling, while other strong candidates are emerging.

The award is supposed to be based on a player's performance during the entire season, right? Not just their performance in September and October. There are still big games left to be played, and conference races to be decided.

For some reason, there is a tendency among the Heisman voters to make up their minds early, and then spend the rest of the season defending their choice like it was the Alamo.

In past years, some Heisman ballots have been mailed in before the conference championship games have been played. How can anybody do that if they take their voting role seriously? Ballots received before the end of the season should be discarded, and that voter should lose the right to participate further.

Hold the hype. Watch and enjoy. It's college football. The season will be over soon enough. Why rush it?

One of Them Had to Win

The tension must have been nearly unbearable Saturday when Ball State visited Eastern Michigan. Coming into the game, Ball State was 0-7, and Eastern Michigan 0-6. Talk about two teams badly in need of a win...

The Cardinals' running backs must have been inspired.

Cory Sykes had 23 carries for 203 yards and three touchdowns. Not to be outdone, MiQuale Lewis carried the ball 26 times for a career-high 301 yards and a touchdown.

Ball State won, 29-27.

As a reward, they get to host Ohio this weekend, while still-winless Eastern Michigan visits Arkansas. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment