Sunday, September 7, 2008

Afterbirth (Week 2)

You know... the stuff that just kind of falls out when the party's over.

Quickies

I hate to say this, because I think, in terms of class and character, that the Miami Hurricane football team resembles a work release program from the county jail. But their defense is excellent. Based on what we’ve seen from the ACC so far this season, the ‘Canes might be among the league’s best. If they find some offense to go with that defense, they could find themselves paying for the league title.

Suddenly, I’m a Pirate fan. In consecutive weeks, East Carolina has upset Virginia Tech and laid waste to West Virginia. Could they be the next BCS party crasher?

The Big Least

How bad is the Big East? In the first two weeks of this season, Louisville was handled by Kentucky, Fresno State won at Rutgers, Bowling Green beat Pittsburgh, Syracuse was pummeled by Akron (Akron!?) and East Carolina squashed West Virginia.

Who Knows What Evil Lurks...?

I don't know what to think of USC yet. I'm sure they're good. They should be. They're well-paid. If you think Reggie Bush was the only Trojan ever to receive improper benefits, I've got some swampland in Nevada to sell you. But I wanted to puke when the national media crowed about USC's 52-7 drubbing of Virginia last week. Virginia is a lousy team in a lousy league. Yesterday, the Cavs led Richmond, yes the mighty Richmond Spiders, by a score of 3-0 until there was 7:30 remaining in the 4th quarter. USC may beat the hell out of Ohio State this Saturday, but don't try to convince me that they're good based on a lopsided victory over Virginia. At this point, I'm not even sure a win over Ohio State will be all that impressive. If Ohio U hadn't turned the ball over 5 times against the Buckeyes, the outcome of that game could have been different.

For the record, I hate USC. And I hate Ohio State worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment