Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Crystal Ball Says...

...that I know what will happen in this week's key games. Always remember that I'm right, and your team sucks.

Hawaii @ #5 Florida
At the end of last season, even with Colt Brennan and their top 4 receiver, the Warriors couldn’t keep up with Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Do you really think that, without those players and with a new coach, they can keep up with Florida in the Swamp?

#17 Virginia Tech vs East Carolina (Charlotte)
Virgina Tech won 17-7 last year in Blacksburg, and this year’s team is only a shell of its former ACC championship self. It should be another very interesting game, but I’m not sure the Pirates will have enough to pull off the upset.

Utah @ #24 Michigan
This game reminds me of the Virginia Tech/East Carolina game. There’s a part of me that thinks Utah can win, but the rest of me had a hard time imagining the Wolverines losing this one at home – despite having a new coach and a re-tooled offense.

#21 Oregon @ Washington
Despite having the worst possible luck at the QB position, losing potential Heisman winner Dennis Dixon to a knee injury late last year, and then losing this year’s projected starter Nate Costa just before the start of the season, Oregon looks better than Washington.

#18 Tennessee @ UCLA
First year coach Rick Neuheisel has some work to do at UCLA, but I think they’ll be better than expected. I still think Tennessee should be able to handle them, and they’ll certainly want to avoid a repeat of last year’s West coast embarrassment at Cal.

#24 Alabama vs #9 Clemson (Atlanta)
I’m not really sure why Clemson has gotten so much hype this year. I think they may be the best team in a lousy league. And look for Alabama to be much improved in the second year under Nick Saban.

This season has already gotten off to an interesting start.

LOTS of people had Miami (of Ohio) beating Vandy, but the Commodores pulled it off, on the road no less. NC State and South Carolina looked pretty lousy on Thursday night, but, in the end, the Gamecocks were less lousy. I think the ACC is going to be only slightly better than a good high school league this fall. And who wasn't surprised when Stanford recovered a late goal line fumble and held on to beat the Beavers (ok, I always snicker when I say that) of Oregon State?

No comments:

Post a Comment