Friday, September 26, 2008

My Crystal Ball Says...

...that I know what will happen in this week's key games. Always remember that I'm right, and your team sucks.

#1 USC @ Oregon State
As noted in my previous entry, Oregon State has had some success against Southern California. The Beavers’ somewhat shocking 33-31 victory in 2006 stopped the Trojans’ 38 game regular season winning streak. While I’m normally not in favor of Trojan-busting, I’m all for it this year. Unfortunately, the Beavers don't appear to be capable of another shocker.

Connecticut @ Louisville
I’ve seen Louisville play once this year – in the opening loss to Kentucky - and their defense was downright offensive. It appears as if they've improved since then. They are 2nd in the nation against the run. Connecticut leads the Big East and ranks 6th in the nation in rushing offense. Something’s gotta give. The Huskies are 4-0 so far, but have struggled at times getting there. My gut feeling is to pick Connecticut, so I’m going to take the Cardinals at home in a squeaker.

Mississippi @ #4 Florida
In the last two games, Ole Miss QB Jevan Snead has thrown 6 interceptions and no touchdown passes. Florida is not the best team to play when you’re turnover prone – the Gators are tied for 2nd in the nation in turnover margin, and are the only team in the nation that has yet to lose a fumble or throw an interception. This year’s Gator squad is winning the battle of field position with solid defense and stellar special teams play. The Rebels are not bad, but not good enough to beat the Gators at home.

Tennessee @ #15 Auburn
The Gators slugged Tennessee 59-20 last year, but the Vols rebounded to pound Georgia and win the SEC’s East Division. The optimists in Knoxville (all three of them) are hoping this year’s squad can pull off a similar miracle after demoralizing losses to UCLA and, once again, Florida. Auburn is not particularly bad at anything, but not particularly good at anything either. My partly insane friend Ron thinks the Vols have a chance of pulling off an upset in Auburn. When he told me that, I thought briefly about the possibility, and quietly went to check his medicine cabinet to see if the anti-psychotic prescriptions had expired. Then I decided he might be right. The Vols need to regroup, and the loveliest village on the plains is just the place to do it.

#25 Fresno State @ UCLA
Statistically speaking, Fresno State and UCLA are not impressive. But every time I’ve watched the Bulldogs, they play a tough, physical style of ball, and I love that. Add that to the fact that I hate first year Bruin head coach Rick Nueheisel, and you get me picking Fresno State over the Teddy Bears.

#9 Wisconsin @ Michigan
Every time I pick a Wisconsin game, I try to mention that I think they are the most consistently over-rated team in college football. (Sorry, Bart). You know they are going to lose a game somewhere. But not this Saturday. The Badgers haven’t won a game in Ann Arbor since 1994. It’s time.

#24 TCU @ #2 Oklahoma
On paper, TCU looks like a very good team. Too bad they don’t play these games on paper. The Horned Frogs have beaten up the likes of New Mexico, Stephen F. Austin, Stanford and SMU. TCU has won the last two games in Norman, but that was in 2005 and 1996. It won’t be in 2008. I think TCU is a legitimately good team. I just think Oklahoma is a legitimately better team.

#8 Alabama @ #3 Georgia
Alabama has been one of the major surprises of this young season. Sort of. Nobody expected them to dominate Clemson the way they did in the opener. But their subsequent victories, while convincing, can’t be called surprising. Come on. We’re talking about Tulane, Western Kentucky and a lousy Arkansas team. The Tide is very much improved in Nick Saban’s second year, but not good enough to beat the Dawgs between the hedges.

#22 Illinois @ #12 Penn State
Believe it or not, Penn State has won 23 of the last 25 games in Happy Valley. When I have doubts, I always pick against the team coached by Ron Zook. And I have no doubts about this one. Papa Joe and Penn State win this one.

Colorado vs Florida State (Jacksonville)
Let me make this as clear as I can. I hate Florida State. Last week, I giggled like a school girl watching Wake Forest beat the ‘Noles for the third straight year. FSU quarterbacks combined for 5 interceptions against the Demon Decons. Unfortunately, the Seminoles seem to be decent on defense, and may keep the Buffs from scoring enough points to win.

Bonus Pick: Purdue over Notre Dame in South Bend

No comments:

Post a Comment